The General Manager (GM) is responsible for leadership of all aspects of the Wyndham Basketball Association. The successful candidate will work with the Board to ensure that Wyndham Basketball is the association of choice in Melbourne’s west, as well as solidifying Wyndham Basketball as a major player and influencer in the broader Victorian Basketball landscape.
This will be achieved through working with key stakeholders to develop and implement a business growth strategy, implementing programs and initiatives as well as overseeing the day to day operations of the association (junior domestic, senior domestic, representative, and other programs).
The General Manager must successfully balance the growth and welfare of the game with sound financial management, and strong and vibrant relationships with the players, supporters, volunteers, media, commercial partners as well as Basketball Victoria and Basketball Australia. To be considered for this role you will need to possess senior leadership experience gained within a significant commercial or sporting organisation, or other relevant context.
Selection and Appointment Criteria
To be successful in this position, you must possess the following skills and attributes:
- Tertiary degree in sports management, business management, or equivalent experience.
- Experience in a senior leadership role in a membership-based organisation, preferably in a basketball or other sporting association
- Experience in operating within an executive team and interacting with a variety of senior stakeholders including peak sporting bodies, government entities, not-for-profit and/or corporate businesses.
- Experience in rapidly growing a business through setting and rolling out a business strategy and annual business plans.
- Commercial & financial management skills including experience with establishing partnerships, negotiating and managing contracts, and tracking & analysing business financials.
- Experience in inspiring and effectively managing and developing a passionate and talented staff and volunteers.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including substantial experience with the MS Office suite.
- Must have (or be prepared to obtain prior to employment) a valid Working With Children (WWC) card, drivers license and have successfully passed a police background check.
- Competitive salary
- Performance bonus for KPIs achieved
- Modern office space in a state-of-the-art new stadium facility
- Flexible working arrangements supported
This is a full-time position, typically 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday, however due to the nature of the role and the sports industry, some out of hours work (including weekends and evenings) will be required as standard.
The Wyndham Basketball Association is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We encourage Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians with relevant skills and experience to apply for any of our advertised vacancies.